The Muse Knoxville is a nonprofit institution committed to inspiring and empowering generations at the intersection of science and art. We cannot make the impacts we are making in the Knoxville community and beyond without the talent and time of our Volunteers. Read below about current Volunteer Needs.
Volunteers may sign up in 2, 4, and 8-hour shifts.
A regular schedule is available, but is not a requirement for volunteering.
Volunteers will introduce the exhibit and play spaces to visitors and will explore the area with families through parallel, associative or cooperative play. Our Playologists help keep our exhibits "PLAY-READY"! Volunteers will also assist in and encourage families to participate in art and creative activities that will vary on a rotating basis. Training will be provided.
- Planetarium: Shows include movies and guided star shows. Comfort with technology is a must for this role, and training is provided.
- Saturday Science Connections: This informal hands-on program occurs every Saturday, 11:30-1:30, and focuses on a different science topic each month. Volunteers may assist in facilitating or creating these activities. Scientists, engineers, and science hobbyists are welcome! Friendly and approachable volunteers with a genuine love of working with young children and their families should apply.
- Art Demonstrations: Volunteer artists can demonstrate and teach their skills to visitors in an interactive format. Friendly and approachable volunteers with a genuine love of working with young children and their families should apply.
Volunteers are needed for Special Events that are held at The Muse Knoxville. Special Events span a variety of topic areas and formats and volunteers can choose from numerous program options according to their own areas of interest and scheduling needs. Friendly and approachable volunteers with a genuine love of working with young children and their families should apply. Training will be provided.
- Indoors: Volunteers are needed to help clean exhibit areas, lobby area and all other public areas of The Muse Knoxville. We also need volunteers to help with minor exhibit maintenance and repair.
- Outdoors: Volunteers are needed to help maintain outdoor landscaping areas, including weeding and mowing of grass on an as-needed basis.
VISITOR SERVICES TEAM
As a volunteer on our Visitor Services team you will welcome visitors from the Guest Desk at the center and walk them through the admission process. Volunteers will be trained to answer the visitors’ questions about admissions, memberships, parties, events, planetarium shows, etc… and will facilitate the payment process. Volunteers also will answer general questions, give directions and offer advice on how visitors might use their time at the center. Friendly and approachable volunteers with a genuine love of working with young children and their families should apply. Visitor Services volunteers may sign up in 2, 4, or 8-hours shifts and must be able to maintain a regular work schedule. Training is provided.
VOLUNTEER OFFICE ASSISTANT
Do you have an administrative skill set? We need help with filing, postal assembly, data entry, and overall office organization.